Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trident Gurgaon - a nice hotel

Ever since I joined the current firm, I have had to make 2 trips down to Delhi. Short trips, both of them, but one of the good points is that I have had the pleasure of staying at Trident Gurgaon. I had never heard of this chain before and was a bit doubtful about this entire thing but hey, it had a bed, didn't want anything else by that time.

My first trip in June was only for a day and 1 night and did not really get to appreciate the ambiance but it was still lovely, the suite was good, the views were brilliant. But this time, I stayed for 2 nights and 2 days, and got a chance to enjoy the hotel.

The first thing that strikes you is the simplicity and clean lines of the hotel. Nothing too much hits your eyes, simple clean lines, open spaces and minimalist architecture and furnishings.

Another thing that I liked was that each and every staff member would do an namaste to you. Feels good to see and reciprocate. Anyway, between running around like an idiot, I took some photographs. You can see some 3D views here.

I searched up and down but did not get much information on the architecture. It reminds me of Mughal and Rajput architecture in strange mixes. See here for an example of the gates. Here are some examples of the arches and gates in Alwar. Here's an example of the same arch on a tomb. The same window in the Madrasa Ghazi-ud-Din Khan from a distance here. Interesting, no?

In the middle, you have a pool which is lit up in the night, but the poor chap in the middle, is dressed in a raincoat and his job seems to be sweeping the excess monsoon water from the sandstone flagging. What a job.

Anyway, when you enter the reception, its white, cool, minimalist and just two desks, with not much clutter on the desk. And a beautiful flower arrangement. 25 rose buds, arranged in a tight 5x5 square, looking beautiful. I took almost 50 photographs before one came out right, the shiny white marble was creating havoc with the photographs. But you can see how lovely it looked. My eyes kept on getting back to it. And the staff were lovely and patient with my credit card details till I finished grumbling and muttering and bubbling over the flowers with my little mobile camera.

Anyway, I was lead into the hotel. And there were lovely views. The rooms are arranged around a set of pools. The next set of 2 photographs is from my previous trip.

The pools have frangipani trees strategically positioned around the pools. I just love their aroma. Funny story, me and my boss were waiting for our car to come and I noticed the trees. I told Peter, you got to smell this, its lovely. And I dragged one branch down and got a face full of water from the tree. Muppet BD. Anyway, my room is on the other side. Following are some of the photographs of the room.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

a small kitchen
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
with a sink and stuff. Did not use it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the dining room and the view of the pools and frangipani trees outside

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

in the foreground is the desk and in the background is the sitting room

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

another view of the living room (can you see the fat git in the mirror in the bedroom?)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the pool viewed from the living room

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the living room from the hall

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the hall

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the dining room

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the living room with the hallway

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the bed before I ruined it :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

view of the left hand side wall with the door to the loo

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

entering the bathroom. Nice butt

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
the Jacuzzi, bloody hell, you can play water polo in there
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the basins, there were two, one on each wall. Hmm, too far away...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What's with the backside pictures, eh? But hey, to have two apsara's in my bathroom, I wouldn't mind at all.

All in all, lovely hotel and I think I have found my regular haunt in Delhi! :)

Full resolution pics and slide show here

Technorati Tags: Hotel,India

No comments: