Monday, February 13, 2012

Dec 2011: To the Imperial War Museum #1IWM

I decided to go spend a day at the IWM. The IWM is an extraordinary museum, but perhaps it will suit kids, men and anoraks. It is called as the greatest boy’s building in the world. And I agree with it. Growing up with a bit of a military bug in my brain, this was manna from heaven. So over the next few days, you will be blessed with a series of photo essays. But I am getting ahead of myself. First I have to get to the museum from Lambeth North Tube Station.

Photobucket

I had never been to this tube station, but it was miserable and rainy as soon as I stepped out. Peek to the right and I see this building.

Photobucket

Peek to the left and my attention was diverted by this spectacularly extraordinary church in front of me. Is it a church? Is it an office block? What? This is the Christ Church Lambeth.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

I walk closer to the church.

Photobucket

A gargoyle is screaming silently at the passer-by's

Photobucket

Some beautiful detailing around the windows.

Photobucket

How beautiful, look at the thin columns..With iron bands.

Photobucket

Move on and this strange vista opens up

Photobucket

The church is integrated into this office block. How extraordinary.

Photobucket

On the left hand side, you see a traditional church. Lovely soaring lines.

Photobucket

A church door.

Photobucket

See what I mean? the church block is integrated into the office block. This was because it was destroyed during the WW2 and was rebuilt in this fashion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The concrete frontage is very eye catching. Lovely work, extraordinary building.

Photobucket

I keep on walking, Kenning what? Its Kennington Road.

Photobucket

Reeds Rains. Not a name that i would have picked for an estate agent who is presumably selling houses to keep the rains off..

Photobucket

I am on the right path.

Photobucket

I walk past Kennington Road Police Station

Photobucket

An old style Police Lantern on the roof

Photobucket

A giant nest on a tree.

Photobucket

A bit forbidding, the police station. Well, its not a nursery all right

Photobucket

A plaque for the Lambeth Savings Bank. One of the oldest savings banks in the country. Fascinating to see the economic history of this locality.

Photobucket   Photobucket

A Thai restaurant with shadow puppets in the display.

Photobucket

An old old pub…

Photobucket

I turn the corner and see the Museum.

Photobucket

Another window display.

Photobucket

Wow, I didnt know that William Bligh lived here. What an extraordinary life. Did you know he sailed with Captain Cook? His navigational skills were superlative. He navigated almost 6700 kilometers in the Pacific with hardly anything after he and his team were set adrift in the middle of the Pacific. He got breadfruit from Pacific to the West Indies. Now that’s more like it. Fascinating. And to think his house is in front of the IWM.



Photobucket

Photobucket

A row of flats..

Photobucket

I turn towards the museum and cross the road…next essay will get me into the front courtyard…

No comments: