Monday, August 13, 2012

May 2012: The Cathedral in HK

Had to pop over to HK and had a spare few hours to kill. So off I went for a bit of a walk. The first place? The HK Cathedral.

Photobucket

This is the oldest western church building in HK, dating back to 1849.

Photobucket

A rather severe building

Photobucket

I suppose the windows are ok, but frankly calling this a cathedral made me wince a bit.

Photobucket

A tiny patch of grass.

Photobucket

Looking back at the cathedral.

Photobucket  Photobucket

The building is painted in this cream colour, interestingly it changes colour depending up where and how you look at it..interesting trick of the light.

Photobucket

I peek through the main doors. The service is going on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

During the WW2, when the Japanese were in control, this building was converted into a club, the original stained glass windows were removed then, these are new ones.

Photobucket

The procession is coming out and I beat a hasty retreat.

Photobucket

A lovely Celtic cross in the grounds. The shutters reminded me Calcutta and the lovely times I used to have there.

Photobucket 
The sign board at the entrance…

No comments: