Thursday, May 20, 2010

Photos: Lake District #11 Galava Fort

This was so interesting and while there wasn't much to see, I could still listen to the stones of the Galava Fort talk to me. Here’s another good overview site with some better pictures. My pictures are here on the slideshow.

Photobucket

Here’s the signage

Photobucket

This is how the main gate looked like.

Photobucket

The headquarters building

Photobucket

The CO’s house

Photobucket

The store room. So how does it look like now?
Photobucket

Just some sunken trenches.

Photobucket

And some foundations.

Photobucket

The granary foundations.

Photobucket

This is the view which the legionnaires kept a beady eye out on. This is where the Scottish brigands came down to loot and pillage. I stood on the small ladder and I could imagine myself as a roman legionnaire, standing here in the cold, wind and rain. Peering into the distance, fingering my pilium. Thinking back about my wife and daughter back home. Feeling quite miserable about it all.

Photobucket

There was a tower as well.

Photobucket

This is all that is left of that majestic tower, just a few sunken trenches. All that is left of the massive imposing Roman Galava Fort of nearly 2 millennia ago.

No comments: