Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Views of London from the office

This is a set of photos I took from work on a sunday that i had to pop into work. Usually I dont get a chance to wander around the floor with a camera but I took this chance. Dont think people would like me walking around taking pics of London, eh?

Photobucket

Usually this is the view we get. The window is full of these slats, so I had to poke my camera into the gap and then click through two layers of toughened glass. Maybe I should invest in a polariser.

Photobucket

Looking almost due west.

Photobucket

The city of London. In the far distance you can see the Arch of the Wembley Stadium.

Photobucket

Panning Right

Photobucket

A blue, bluer and white building.

Photobucket

A rash of satellite dishes on top of Credit Suisse. These are used for the satellite market data feeds directly from exchanges. None of this namby pamby wired feeds. One day I will tell you my experience with these satellite feeds when I was in another investment bank.

Photobucket

I think that is St. Katherine’s Docks

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Following the river around the curve.

Photobucket

Some very expensive apartment blocks lining the thames.

Photobucket

The curve of the river.

Photobucket

The Shard in the background, the weird shaped London Mayor’s Office and the Tower Bridge which is open. Not a common sight.

Photobucket

The Shard Under construction

Photobucket

The city of London

Photobucket

London really isnt a high rise city. Which is a bit of a shame if you ask me. I think tall buildings give more character to a city. I love HK and NY just because of this reason.

Photobucket

The S Shaped River.

Photobucket

This is something that I dont know much about. Its a strange bunch of buildings in the middle of a large park.

Photobucket

See what I mean? its sort of plonked into the middle of this largish park. In a different coloured brick or stone construction.

Photobucket

Moving in a clockwise direction. You can see the Olympic Stadium on the top right hand side.

Photobucket

Panning further to the right.

Photobucket

A gas storage device.

Photobucket

Coming back to the Olympic Village. The red spidery thing in the middle is a sculpture by the Mittals.

Photobucket

I think that’s also part of the olympic village, perhaps the swimming pool?

Photobucket

There you go, the Olympic Stadium. I havent got any tickets for a simple reason. I want to take pics of people around the stadium and outside rather than sit inside and take pics of the sport itself. Or maybe I will get invited by somebody to see a game or two? lol. One lives in hope.

Photobucket

Another view due North.

Photobucket

The London City Airport. The planes go over our building so low to land there.

Photobucket

The Millennium Dome.

Photobucket

The London Thames Barrier, which regulates the flow of water into and out of the Thames. Stops the flooding. Well, it would flood if the Barrier wasnt there.

Photobucket

Panning further right across the O2 Centre.

Photobucket

Scudding Clouds.

Photobucket

This is the view due East. On good days, and from the 40th floor, one can see the sea. The sunrises are brilliant.

Photobucket

A longer shot of the South East

Photobucket

The dock

Photobucket

I am not really very sure what I was trying to do but it failed miserably, lol. This is the view between the Citigroup Tower on the left and main Canary Wharf tower on the right pointing due South.

Nice, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sent a link to your blog whilst on a conference call so took a wander though it - so enjoyable, thank you....like taking time to stop and stare....